MIDCOAST MAINE EXTINCTION REBELLION
Open Meeting & Intro to Extinction Rebellion
In despair about the climate crisis?
And industrial capitalism, ecocide, deforestation, colonialism, imperialism, oppression, usury, and the systematic destruction of everything sacred?
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Join us. Get emotional support, and help plan concrete actions to fight for life, justice, equality, and all that is sacred on this green(ish) Earth.
WHERE: UCC First Church, Belfast, ME (please use the Spring Street entrance)
A Living Document
- Our shared vision is a world fit for generations to come.
- Our mission is mobilizing the 3.5% of us necessary to achieve system change.
- We must create a regenerative culture – one that’s healthy, resilient, and adaptable.
- We welcome everyone and actively create safe and accessible spaces.
- We follow the leadership of marginalized voices: people of color; those who are indigenous; TQLGB folx; refugees and immigrants; women; youth; the differently abled; and the poor.
- Community Uplift: Showing up to serve our local communities. Addressing entrenched generational poverty, food scarcity, class and economic injustice, housing insecurity, lack of access to healthcare.
- We work to undo hetero-patriarchy and white supremacy in ourselves and our society.
- We have no hierarchies of power because we believe in equitable participation.
- We leave our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We follow a cycle of acting, reflecting, learning, and planning.
- We avoid blaming and shaming individuals.
- We use non-violent strategy and tactics.
- We recognize joy and gratitude as necessary companions to climate grief and despair.
- We make reparations to communities denied access to their land, culture, language, and history. In Maine, we specifically include the Wabanaki people whose land we occupy.
- Anyone following these principles can take action on behalf of Midcoast Maine Extinction Rebellion.
- All of Nature has inherent value with inalienable and sacrosanct rights that we, as members of this connected web of life, are called to protect.
Last modified 11.3.19
- The government, media, and everyone else must tell the truth about the climate emergency.
- The government must enact legislation to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2025 (with a focus on a socially just transition).
- The government must form citizens' assemblies on climate, with legally binding powers.
- We demand a just transition that prioritizes the most vulnerable people and indigenous sovereignty; establishes reparations and remediation led by and for Black people, Indigenous people, people of color and poor communities for years of environmental injustice, establishes legal rights for ecosystems to thrive and regenerate in perpetuity, and repairs the effects of ongoing ecocide to prevent extinction of human and all species, in order to maintain a livable, just planet for all.