MIDCOAST MAINE EXTINCTION REBELLION
MMXR is currently standing up against one of the world's largest fish factories wishing to come to Belfast and destroy 56 acres of our green belt that is a direct link from land to the sea for creatures.
Nordic Aqua'farms' is a CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operation) that has divided our city and wishes to destroy the land (literally completely removing tens of thousands of dumptruck loads of soil), dirty the air, cut down the mature forest, destroy multiple wetlands and many streams.
In addition to all that Nordic would be polluting the Bay every single day by dumping 7.7 million gallons of effluent, 1,600 lbs. of nitrogen, 6-8 pounds of phosphorus, and 380 pounds of suspended solids. They will also use close to a billion gallons of water a year! This is Elite Capture and we are standing up to protect our beloved Little River Trail.
Join Our Weekly Anti-NAF Vigil!
There is a vigil every Thursday on Resistance Corner in Belfast (the stoplight at Main Street and High Street) from 12 to 1pm. We have plenty of signs for you to hold and encourage you to join us. We have a great time.
We are currently not meeting in person due to COVID-19, but we are holding regular Zoom calls on Sunday afternoons for Heart Work. Please join our email list to get notified of upcoming calls!
A Living Document
- Our shared vision is a world fit for generations to come.
- Our mission is mobilizing the 3.5% of us necessary to achieve system change.
- We must create a regenerative culture – one that’s healthy, resilient, and adaptable.
- We welcome everyone and actively create safe and accessible spaces.
- We follow the leadership of marginalized voices: people of color; those who are indigenous; TQLGB folx; refugees and immigrants; women; youth; the differently abled; and the poor.
- Community Uplift: Showing up to serve our local communities. Addressing entrenched generational poverty, food scarcity, class and economic injustice, housing insecurity, lack of access to healthcare.
- We work to undo hetero-patriarchy and white supremacy in ourselves and our society.
- We have no hierarchies of power because we believe in equitable participation.
- We leave our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We follow a cycle of acting, reflecting, learning, and planning.
- We avoid blaming and shaming individuals.
- We use non-violent strategy and tactics.
- We recognize joy and gratitude as necessary companions to climate grief and despair.
- We make reparations to communities denied access to their land, culture, language, and history. In Maine, we specifically include the Wabanaki people whose land we occupy.
- Anyone following these principles can take action on behalf of Midcoast Maine Extinction Rebellion.
- All of Nature has inherent value with inalienable and sacrosanct rights that we, as members of this connected web of life, are called to protect.
Last modified 11.3.19
- The government, media, and everyone else must tell the truth about the climate emergency.
- The government must enact legislation to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2025 (with a focus on a socially just transition).
- The government must form citizens' assemblies on climate, with legally binding powers.
- We demand a just transition that prioritizes the most vulnerable people and indigenous sovereignty; establishes reparations and remediation led by and for Black people, Indigenous people, people of color and poor communities for years of environmental injustice, establishes legal rights for ecosystems to thrive and regenerate in perpetuity, and repairs the effects of ongoing ecocide to prevent extinction of human and all species, in order to maintain a livable, just planet for all.